How to be Happy and Re-Motivated after losing Smartphone?
You might find the title weird, as to how can somebody feel happy & re-motivated after losing something as indispensable as a smartphone. If I was asked a week back, I would have also thought the same. But as the common phrase says, “Where there is a will there is a way”.
How I lost my SmartPhone?
Last Sunday was a usual family visit to the nearby mall in an auto. Since monsoon had arrived, the purpose of the visit was to buy rain shoes. It was raining badly & we were carrying lots of bags. I entered the shoe shop & was looking at the racks when I suddenly realized that my handbag was missing. I had forgotten my handbag in a hurry in the auto. Panic struck across, we rushed outside the mall. We searched for the auto, couldn’t find it anywhere. Rushed back to our place thinking maybe the bag was forgotten at home itself. But not all maybes come true.
Tried calling my number with another cell, finally, someone picked up the phone at the other end. It was the auto rickshaw driver. He said the bag was left in the auto & that he will come and deliver it in 15 minutes. Hope grew that all is not lost. The 15 minutes turned to 1.5 hours. The smartphone had been switched off by then. The ultimate realization dawned upon me, one of my prized possessions – “My SmartPhone” was lost. I was highly upset by my forgetfulness & carelessness. I felt restless, unsettled & anxious. I was worried & felt that maybe this is how people feel a little bit in FOMO (Fear of Missing Out), FOBO (Fear of Being Offline) & worse in Nomophobia. My thoughts were running wild.
After being assured by my family, felt much better. I decided to let bygones be bygones. Removed lost smartphone from an email account, signed out, changed passwords of accounts, blocked SIM. Made me understand the extent & worth of data which we use through our phone.
Skeptically went to the Police Station the next day, to register FIR. The initial response was stern but the process was quick and the police officers were courteous and were smiling towards the end. Made me perceive that the imaginary image of police from movies was stuck in my mind. They are also humans and that too with huge responsibility on their shoulders.
The Doings & Learnings:
- After that day, I have made it a habit of counting things in hand before leaving home & after getting down from any public transport.
- Smartphone has the title “Smart” but it does it does make us more dependent on technology. The incident made me realize that there are very few cell numbers I remember by heart. Have decided to reduce my reliance on Contact list & remember more phone numbers the way we used to earlier when usage of landline phones was more in fashion.
- The phone is after all just a device with a brightly lit screen in hand which helps to connect people virtually through calls, texts & social media. I realized the importance of connecting with real people- family & friends through talks in person. It brings back the missing personal touch & builds bonding.
- The break helped me in connecting more with myself, rethink, re-evaluate, recharge.
- Kids learn a lot by observing & tend to be a reflection of their parents. With the phone not being there in my hand, my kid too didn’t ask for the phone.
- Studies have shown that phones do affect our health. The re-iteration to myself that phones aren’t that good for health & by staying away I am doing my health a favor was a booster.
- Found time to do a lot more interesting things like listening to Music, reading printed books which I had bought long back, spending more time with family, cooking in the kitchen, organizing things at home, going for a walk, visiting the neighbor, planning a vacation.
The Results secured after losing Smartphone:
- Unplugging from technology & social media became a consequential reality for me but it helped me find my “Me” time which made me calmer & happier.
- It helped me unwind by giving myself a break from constant social engagement.
- To be in the moment became easier while focusing on reading a book and even while spending undivided time with family without the distraction of checking /answering the smartphone
- Losing the smartphone helped me in reducing my usage of cell, apps and find more time in doing other things I like which I wasn’t doing regularly
Next time if you lose your phone, don’t be upset. Try looking at it as an opportunity to improve your day & yourself just like the way I tried to do it. And become Happy & Re-Motivated again.
Have you lost your smartphone anytime? Tell us about your experience & your favorite ways of switching off from technology for good. Share it in the comments!
I am a dreamer, marketing enthusiast, home-maker who believes that everything & every day teaches us something. We just need to be ready to observe & learn from it. I like to share thoughts, short stories, experiences, observations, learnings, reviews by penning down through my blog. I am a Banker by profession with an educational background in Engineering & Financial Mangement. I like to read, draw, paint, watch movies, travel & try my hand at cooking.